Skip to content

Trash – and my daughter loved the

“all i could think about was the lies, stacking up now, and how i hoped it was worth it. ”. A 14-year-old boy named raphael, a “dumpsite boy,” finds a valuable item in the trash where he and his friends forage daily in hopes of collecting items to sell to survive. The item is valuable to a powerful person. He and his posse will go to great lengths to get it back. Initially, they’ve revealed to an aunt that they’ve found something, and the fact that she tells this to the authorities brings them under suspicion while they deny the truth. They find it hard to keep the secret (or continue the lie), which leads to potentially severe consequences for them and their friends and family. Much of the book is spent with the boys avoiding the bad guys while trying to keep possession of the item secret and trying to solve the mystery behind the item they found. Trash is an entertaining but pretty basic story about poverty and perseverance. Better: holes by louis sachar, hoot by carl hiaasen and maximum ride by james patterson.

Andy mullingan does an admirable job with this young adult fiction. I have many grand children and am always in the market for great stories that will get them thinking about who they are and how they relate to the world around them. This one will be one of our family vacation reads.

Wish i could recommend this for a must read for middle school but with the restriction on what books to let the ‘guarded’ children of today read. I could only give it 4 stars. Do the ‘children’ of today know that the poverty level today is 90% or hanging on to the middle class status, while the other 10% or less keep their shades drawn against the poor and how they have to survive?.

  • “All I could think about was the lies, stacking up now, and how I hoped it was worth it.”
  • Trash by Andy Mulligan
  • It makes readers aware of the struggle of poor children. The conflict the children face when they

I started ‘trash’ this afternoon and could not leave it until i was finished. Mr mulligan has written a compelling story, with beautiful and complex characters whom i think do justice to both the people living in those dreadful conditions and to the volunteers working with them. It also gives a glimpse into the darker side of manila, with its corruption and abuses of all sort, with the low value given to (some) human lives. It also shows part of why change, here as in other similar situations, is so hard.

I picked up this novel because i was looking for something new and fresh to add to my classroom reading list; i thought it might be a high interest story for my students (7th grade), something to keep them from getting squirmy in their seats when they hear the words, ‘and the next novel we will read is. ‘simply put, this book is breath-taking. From the descriptions of the dumps to the charisma of its protagonists, this book is a page-turner. Mulligan sets his novel in a fictional third world country, although there are elements that suggested to me the setting could be our very own united states (i. – a train station called ‘central,’ possibly alluding to grand central). In a clearly dystopian society, there seems to be no middle class–only the wealthy and powerful and the ne’er-do-wells. The poor live in the city dumps where they sift through mountains of garbage on a daily basis looking for food, clothing, and any item of value to sell. It is in one such pile that raphael, a young boy of about 13, discovers a map, a wallet, and a key–all items of great value, great mystery, and great danger.

I found this book excellent, even though i think it was written for the younger set. Wonderful story, well written, and one that all young people should read.

Wish i could recommend this for a must read for middle school but with the restriction on what books to let the ‘guarded’ children of today read. I could only give it 4 stars. Do the ‘children’ of today know that the poverty level today is 90% or hanging on to the middle class status, while the other 10% or less keep their shades drawn against the poor and how they have to survive?.

This book is required reading for freshman high school, and my daughter loved the story.

This book was assigned summer ready. Many themes to challenge young readers.

I started ‘trash’ this afternoon and could not leave it until i was finished. Mr mulligan has written a compelling story, with beautiful and complex characters whom i think do justice to both the people living in those dreadful conditions and to the volunteers working with them. It also gives a glimpse into the darker side of manila, with its corruption and abuses of all sort, with the low value given to (some) human lives. It also shows part of why change, here as in other similar situations, is so hard.

The book was interesting and made one think, but not enough to bore you. The book had everything that i was hoping for.

This book is required reading for freshman high school, and my daughter loved the story.

Had to get this for my sons required summer reading by his school and both my son and i read it. Great story, easy read, simple vocabulary. My son enjoyed it and so did i.

It was cooli would recommend this book to my mom and friendsi loved this book so much.

It was cooli would recommend this book to my mom and friendsi loved this book so much.

Love these kids and the setting. Love these kids and the setting. Want to know more about this world.

A lot of suspense, but confusion as well. There was a lot of confusing parts but overall not too bad, it was a great expiernce for my literature.

Great plot and a real page turner made me cry. I love how this book was based on andy mulligan’s experience in manila and london, and how there was a change in the plot with interesting characters, that made you wanna read more.

A lot of suspense, but confusion as well. There was a lot of confusing parts but overall not too bad, it was a great expiernce for my literature.

Had to get this for my sons required summer reading by his school and both my son and i read it. Great story, easy read, simple vocabulary. My son enjoyed it and so did i.

This book was very well written and told a very suspenseful and interesting story. I couldn’t put it down and immediately bought a copy for my classroom as i think my students would love it too.

The thriller trash, by andy mulligan, is an exciting adventure, set in a developing country much different than our own. Trash brings you into a world that most people will never have the misfortune to see: a huge garbage dump, whose stench and filth is really almost unimaginable to folks like us, whose trash is tidily placed in black plastic bags and conveniently handled for us by sanitation workers. Most of us never see what happens after these workers pick up our trash; where it really ends up and in fact, we probably don’t really want to know. This story is about the place where trash does ends up, in a third world country, and what life is like in this place for three young garbage pickers. Until the day something incredible happens that changes all this and gives them hope for the future. Trash is very atmospheric, setting the scene with images of miles and miles of raw rotting garbage, human waste, and the overwhelming stench. The descriptions were so good i could practically taste the horrible stench myself. Raphael says, ‘it’s a place they call behala, and it’s rubbish town. Three years ago it was smoky mountain, but smoky mountain got so bad, they closed it up and shifted us along the road.

13 year old read this for a good report. Was able to follow the storyline.